Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:55:24 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
Cc:        Andrew BOGECHO <andrewb@cs.mcgill.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs errors

Sorry to all for a null reply on this subject.  Was going to reply to
Andrew BOGECHO changed my mind and hit send instead of abort.  Hope the
rest of my day is better than this.

I've been using a FreeBSD client (my desktop system at work) with
Solaris servers for close to three years (or when ever 2.2.6 came out)
when I replaced the Alpha that was on my desk with a FreeBSD system.
My amd.conf looks like:

/defaults       type:=host;opts:=rw,intr,proto=udp,vers=2,timo=10,retran
s=5;\
                fs:=${autodir}/${rhost};rhost:=${key}

some_alpha_systems          opts:=rw,intr,nosuid,nodevs,grpid,soft,timo=
10,\
                retrans=5,rsize=1436,wsize=1436

*               opts:=rw,intr,nosuid,nodevs,grpid,soft,timo=10,retrans=5

I've had no problems using Solaris servers and FreeBSD clients.  Most
of the Solaris systems are on our raised floor which is two hops away
and three are in another city, 5 hops away.  Of course NFS requests to
the other city are slower but are just as reliable.

The Alpha systems that I've had problems with are 4 hops away and a 5
minute cab ride to that datacentre.  Reducing the read and write buffer
size to below the Ethernet frame size fixed many timeouts.  Tru64-UNIX
has problems with PATH MTU discovery.  Between this and the fact that I
run a packet filter on my desktop system, to protect it from the rest
of my employer's network, making sure NFS packets aren't fragmented
helps a lot.

You might have some network issues, e.g. routers fragmenting packets in
some weird way or your hosts not reassembling the packets properly.
Try reducing your read/write buffer sizes.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC