Date:      Sat, 01 Jan 2005 14:27:24 -0800
From:      Sam Nilsson <sam@servingpeace.com>
To:        Josef El-Rayes <josef@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] moinmoin update to 1.3.1

Josef El-Rayes wrote:
>>Question:
>>
>>How can one choose to run an instance under twisted, or my choice
>>mod_python?
>
> tell me in how far it differs to the existing installtion modes or
> just what needs to be copied where and i will of course add them.
> the problem i have is that it is not 100% obivious from the installation
> guide, where i have to put the different files for the different
> installation modes, and i did not have
> the time yet, to test all of them. although i will of course.

i found that for the mod_python setup, you don't need to copy any files
to the "servers" directory since mod_python just runs directly from the
MoinMoin package in the python site-packages directory.

i really have no idea about how twisted servers run. maybe like
mod_python, right from the twisted packages in site-packages, but i
don't know.

>>FWIW: I installed using MOINTYPE="MOD_PYTHON" in order to skip
>>installing the fastcgi, cgi and standalone servers. Not sure if it
>>worked or not though. Next step is to set up apache and a get moin moin
>>running under mod_python.
>

> a great! just let me know when you found out how to do it, and send
> me some details/patches :-)

here is my apache mod_python setup. i basically just copied the moinmoin
  examples. FYI, the path '/usr/local/www/moin' points to my default
instance, which it needs in order to be able to import the
'wikiconfig.py' config file. I suppose that this info could be output as
an informational message if MOINDEST=MOD_PYTHON is chosen:

Alias /moin /usr/local/www/moin
<Location "/moin">
         SetHandler python-program
         PythonPath "['/usr/local/www/moin'] + sys.path"
         PythonHandler MoinMoin.request::RequestModPy.run
         PythonAutoReload On
         PythonDebug On
</Location>

if you want to make a new tarball available with the updated changes, i
would be happy to download it and add a few basic clarifications to the
docs. i'm thinking about little things like explaining that a default
instance has been installed in $MOINDEST and maybe one or two other
clarifying points.

FYI, I originally tried to run moinmoin on apache2 from ports using the
worker (multithreaded) MPM on apache. I had a strange but consistent
browser crash on loading the 'preview' page on any wiki edit page. This
happened every time, but only with Firefox on Mac OS X! Also interesting
that it happened with plain CGI as well as mod_python. I guess it must
be thread related, because I recompiled apache with the prefork MPM and
now there are no crashes.

Besides the apache2 issues, this port seems really nice to me!

- Sam Nilsson