Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:09:36 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 RC1 - problems with HighPoint RocketRAID 1640?

On 10/24/05, Neil Hoggarth <neil.hoggarth@physiol.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> I tried a source-upgrade from RELENG_5 to RELENG_6 over the weekend
> (cvsuped RELENG_6 at around 10am Sunday morning, UK time). I was using a
> GENERIC kernel. The procedure from UPDATING was working fine, up to the
> point when I ran "make installworld". The system froze solid very early
> in the installworld process (the comment printed on the screen prior to
> the freeze suggests that it was copying, or preparing to copy, include
> files).

Did you reboot after installing the 6.0 Kernel and before the installworld?
This ensures that the 6.0 Kernel works on your system before the 6.0
binaries are installed.

> Any pointers on how I might go about diagnosing this, and hopefully
> producing a more useful problem report concerning the difficultes that
> my hardware seems to have with 6.0 kernels?

You'll need to ensure that you have the debugging options enabled in
the 6.0 kernel, this way your kernel will hopefully break to the
debugger when the problem reoccurs.

See the handbooks chapter on debugging for more details.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.