Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:54:13 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@q9media.com>
Cc:        Volker Stolz <stolz@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>, hackers@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org, joe@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] whois(1) - recursive IP searches

--pEAjBjStGYT6H+Py

Mike Barcroft(mike@q9media.com)@2001.06.22 12:25:33 +0000:
> On 6/22/01 4:59 AM, Volker Stolz at stolz@I2.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
> wrote:
>=20
> > In local.freebsd-hackers, you wrote:
> >> I would appreciate comments on the following patch:
> >> http://testbed.q9media.net/freebsd/whois.20010622.patch
> >>=20
> >> o Implement recursive IP Address searches based on the results of
> >> a query to ARIN.  This allows a user to type 'whois 210.139.255.223'
> >> and get the expected results.
> >> [Requested by joe and phk]
> >=20
> > This and some of the other stuff discussed recently looks like what
> > other people have been building into whois-*servers* like whois.thur.de
> > by Lutz.Donnerhacke@Jena.Thur.De (just try 'whois -h whois.thur.de
> > 210.139.255.223').
>=20
> I don't understand the solution your proposing.  Are you suggesting that =
we
> flood whois.thur.de with FreeBSD requests, or are you suggesting we have
> every whois server in the world switch to this software?

the above server is very ill-behaving. when asking for a XX00-RIPE
handle it should query whois.ripe.net and, successful query done, output
the results. what happens is this:

---
rohrbach@nGENn:defiler[~]139% whois -h whois.thur.de KR11-RIPE
Process query: 'kr11-ripe'
Querying whois.ripe.net:43 with whois.

Querying whois.nic.at:43 with whois.

Querying whois.denic.de:43 with whois.

Querying whois.isnet.is:43 with whois.

Querying whois.norid.no:43 with whois.

Querying whois.nic.it:43 with whois.
---

i omitted the rest, since it simply returns all the hits it got. i
think it is better to install a little program as an addon on the
appropriate whois servers to simulate at least the expected load avg:

--- hog.c:
main() {
    for(;;) {
    }
}
---

cc -o hog hog.c
start it up several times, until you reach the loadavg of your choice ;-)

>=20
> > Why not keep whois(1) lean and put the "custom" stuff in a port?
> > On the other hand, I fully understand that people might disagree :)
>=20
> What's the point of software in the base system, if it doesn't do anything
> useful?  If you want to find out who owns an IP block, you want to type
> 'whois (dotted-quad)' without having to know which country it was assigned
> to.  Similarly, if you want to know who owns a .com, you're not going to =
be
> required to know which registrar they chose.  whois(1) is an information
> gathering tool, after all.

yup, exactly.
as i said, jwhois is worth a look. it already is in ports.

/k

--=20
> I own my own body. But I share.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--pEAjBjStGYT6H+Py

--pEAjBjStGYT6H+Py--