Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 21:03:52 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        "Kim J. Brand" <kim@simple-mail.com>, FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install fails on 10.2 GB drive using 4.0

"Kim J. Brand" wrote:

> after selecting every default choice in the partitioning and slicing of a
> new 10.2 GB WD HD, the install failes with an error message saying it
> couldn't swap to /dev/ad0s1...
>
> i changed the hard drive to a smaller 6.4 GB drive and it works.
>
> i searched the archives and found some references to large hard drives in
> LBA mode.  i didn't notice a selection for that in the setup.  but what i
> found allowed me to believe it should work.
>
> is there an option i'm missing?
>
> thanks,
>
> kim
We just ran into the same problem. It has to be a magic number thing. If
you look at the diagnostic screen, you'll find that your system thinks
the drive size is astronomical. (I never did the math, but we are
talking 100s of gigs here.)

We found 2 work arounds. Load 3.x and upgrade, or manually correct the
disk label.

We let the bios auto detect the drive, and used LBA mode.

Bob

--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought,
but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."