Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:02:44 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Maxmem should be bytes ?

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 04:47:04PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:
> Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> writes:

> > > I didn't see a response to this message. While VHPT < 2**15 isn't a
> > > huge issue, this bug could result in other correctness problems.
> >
> > Such as?
>
> New code that tries to use ia64_ptob(Maxmem) for something other than
> VHPT sizing would be broken.

Like machdep.c:164?

        printf("real memory  = %ld (%ld MB)\n", ia64_ptob(Maxmem),
            ia64_ptob(Maxmem) / 1048576);

As for the fact that Maxmem is in bytes and physmem isn't: we define
Maxmem to be equal to physmem (machdep.c:598). So they are in fact
equal.

> And of course, it doesn't hurt to have a
> bigger VHPT on large memory machines :)

Agreed. However, I'd like us to first get things to work without VHPT
(especially SMP) and then focus on getting a good VHPT implementation.
I think this way we'll have the best infrastructure. I have it planned
after EPC (I'm working on that right now).