Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:58:51 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: synopsis (was: Is there a mechanism for suggesting a package to be added to ports?)

--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3

Vicki Brown wrote:
> Yes; I had known that synopsis required g++ 3 or higher (I was unable=20
> to download gcc  3.2 but did build 3.1)
>=20
> I shall indeed try the ports/patches as  recommended by you helpful=20
> people and will assuredly send all information back to the developer.=20
> He seems to be quite willing to add ifdef's and installation notes as=20
> appropriate and appeared most interested in having his package build=20
> for FreeBSD (as am I).

Hi,

there is probably no need for #ifdefs, since the patches necessary for
FreeBSD won't break the build on other platforms. Encapsulating them
with #ifdef (__FreeBSD__) is just bloat IMO.

Since you seem to like Synopsis very much: Do you want to become the
maintainer of the port? It's always the best thing if a regular user of
a software is also its FreeBSD maintainer. It probably won't be too much
work, but there are some things that need to be done:

 - testing on FreeBSD 4 (especially with python and boehm-gc built with
   2.95 and synopsis built with 3.3)
 - the patches in the ports's files directory need to be sent to the
   maintainer (probably everything apart from patch-NOPORTDOCS)
 - the maintainer should be asked if the software could be made respect
   CFLAGS.

Once you confirm that the port builds and runs on FreeBSD 4, I will
submit a PR.

Grab it from here: http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/synopsis.tar.gz

Simon

--0lnxQi9hkpPO77W3