Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 1996 01:25:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Nov 1996, Veggy Vinny wrote:
>
> > 	I wonder if the Ricochet modems will be faster later on since the
> > modem can do up to 100kBps but if you're on the campus and only see 28.8k
> > then their claim isn't true.
>
> Don't forget:
>
> 1.  Network overhead
> 2.  Latency, latency, latency, and some lag, too

	Ofcourse, somehow one thing is weird.  I'm getting 3.6k/sec for
transfers compared to 2.9k by modem but my typing is more lagging with the
Ricochet.

> > 	Oh okay....  The bad thing about the Ricochet is it doesn't have
> > enough lights.
>
> :)
>
> The Phase 2 modems have a red/green LED.  Red when you power it on, blink
> green when it's acquired, blink yellow when connected.

	I know but I wished it had lights like my USR Courier Dual
Standard v.everything does :-)

> > 	Oh okay, do you know if you can use the Ricochet internet service
> > at all if you used the university service?
>
> If I paid for it, sure.  But why would I pay for it??  :-)  That's more of
> a software issue.

	Hmmmm, I don't think you really need software to use the Ricochet
service since it's more of just changing the dial string :-)

> 855c's, great printers.  Just looking at the output, it's hard to tell the
> difference between it and the Laserjet 5P at work. :)

	Yep, it was great until HP kept releasing like a dozen printers
this year alone...

> You mean run a gateway of somesort?  You will need NAT or a patch to
> FreeBSD to enable proxy.  I don't have the URL for the proxy available at
> the moment.

	yeah, because I wanted to be able to use my Win95 machine
connected to this machine by Ethernet if possible so it would go directly
to the net.  Let me know if you have the URL when you find it.  Thanks.

Vince
GaiaNet Corporation - Unix Networking Operations - GUS Mailing Lists Admin