Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 11:29:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   gdb docs

I was bringing my new machine to current, and during the virginal make
world, noticed it stopped while in gdb/doc.  I went back to my main
machine, did a make clean there, and found it too stopped in gdb/doc.

Assuming for the moment that this _is_ broken ....

It seems that a file from gdb/readline named rluser.texinfo isn't being
brought in, that seems to be causing it.  The way that gdb is organized,
tho, makes me wonder what the right fix is.  Normally, I thought that
stuff that has sources based in contrib was supposed to use those sources
directly as much as possible, but gdb doesn't seem to do that; most of the
sources for gdb have been committed to the /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb
hierarchy, so they exist twice, once in /usr/src/contrib, and again in
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gdb.

The one exception to this is that rluser.texinfo file.  The Makefile in
gdb/doc forces an include of the usr.bin/gdb/readline/doc, but the
rluser.texinfo is in /usr/src/contrib/gdb/readline/doc.

Either moving the include line to point at the contrib stuff, or copying
the rluser.texinfo to the tree sources would fix it.  For gdb, which is
the right way to go?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |