Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:11:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's the difference between the ncr0 and sym0 drivers?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> Is one preferable?

Here's the history:

BSD ncr -> Linux ncr53c8xx -> Linux sym53c8xx -> FreeBSD sym

The ncr is minimally maintained mainly against O/S changes since the
latest real improvement that has been the support of 875/895/896 Ultra
chips:
- Ultra, Ultra 2
- On-chip RAM
These changes came from the Linux ncr53c8xx driver, as I am using both
Linux and FreeBSD since 1995.
Note that Linux ncr53c8xx is now also minimally maintained.

Only `sym53c8xx' and `sym' support phase mismatch handling from SCRIPTS,
Ultra3 chips (SYM53C1010), residual calculation, completion queue (rather
than walking CCB lists), etc ... (would be too long :) ).

Speaking about Linux + FreeBSD + FreeEtc..., my main project at the
moment is `sym' for all. Btw, this is not an original strategy. :-)

It seems that a new driver is developped from scratch in the NetBSD
project. That's a courageous effort. Just the `from scratch' approach has
been a bad idea, in my opinion.

About the `sym' driver, I try to maintain it up-to-date regarding both O/S
features and chips features. It seems extremally stable in practice and is
both very fast and scale perfectly with the number of simulatenous IOs, at
least in theory :).
Just a number:  I have measured a bit more that 16000 small IOs per second
(512 bytes READs) using a single old SYM53C895 chip, which let me think
that theory should match practice here. :)

G=E9rard.

PS: LSILogic supports actively sym53c8xx and sym drivers development by
    providing me with controllers, documentations and hardware upgrades.