Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 21:03:39 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Cc:        vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: apsfilter

>  * What's the problem you're seeing with the FreeBSD port of TeX?
>
> Vince can answer this, but I remember him saying mf not running
> properly in the background or something....
>
>  * I'm not convinced about either. TeX does *not* create fonts for dvips.
>  * If there are missing fonts dvips fires off the MakeTeXPK script that
>  * calls mf not TeX.

mf works fine in the background, dvips fires it off all the time and
I've used it extensively. What's the problem?

Is apsfilter installing it's own MakeTeXPK script? In the version I have
it says
#
#   Prevent display under the X Window System.  Except it doesn't always
#   work; some sh'ells don't seem to understand unset.  There are also some
#   versions of METAFONT that don't work if the DISPLAY isn't set and
#   the term type is set to xterm.
#
# unset DISPLAY

If mf is getting confused by this it might not run in the background properly
because it's trying to display the font it's generating.

> Where's mf though?  I think it's in the tex package, and that's why
> you need tex.

Ok, that's a fair point.

--
  Paul Richards, FreeBSD core team member.
  Internet: paul@FreeBSD.org,  URL: http://isl.cf.ac.uk/~paul/