Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:07:17 -0800
From:      "Chris H" <portmaster@BSDforge.com>
To:        "Pedro Giffuni" <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Ports" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, "blubee blubeeme" <gurenchan@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Linux ports tutorial? WPS Office

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:15:35 -0500 "Pedro Giffuni" <pfg@FreeBSD=2Eorg> said
> [...]
>> Kingsoft Office):
>> much details in the
>>> handbook=2E
>> different for i386
>>> and amd64?
>> those work=2E
>>> Just have "USES=3Dlinux", "USE_LINUX_RPM=3Dyes" and make
>> these two files
>>> pkg-plist=2Ei386 and pkg-plist=2Eamd64
>>> and they are used automatically=2E Or you could duplicate
>> a magic from
>>> /ports/Mk/Uses/linux=2Emk <http://linux=2Emk>; in your Makefile:
>>>=20
>>> PLIST?=3D ${PKGDIR}/pkg-plist=2E${LINUX_ARCH:S/x86_64/amd64/}
>>>=20
>>> For details, read Porter's Handbook:
>>>=20
>> https://www=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/doc/en_US=2EISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
>> <https://www=2Efreebsd=2Eorg/doc/en_US=2EISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/>;
>>>=20
>>=20
>> The handbook has no information about "USE_LINUX_RPM=3Dyes"=2E
>> If I set that it appears the ports framework will ignore
>> MASTER_SITES=2E
>>=20
>> Should I dig into the MK framework to see how to change
>> the repository or should I use the =2Etar=2Exz distribution
>> instead? :(=2E
>>=20
>> I'm not sure=2E But would having a look at the way
>> emulators/linux_base-c(6|7)
>> provide some clues?
>>=20
>>=20
>> Not really but I think I found something in Mk/Uses/linux=2Emk
>> <http://linux=2Emk>:
>>=20
>> For the case of USE_LINUX_RPM it is supposed to not do anything
>> when MASTER_SITES is defined but it is somewhat messy, and somehow
>> it always uses ${MASTER_SITE_CENTOS_LINUX}=2E Any port that uses RPM
>> but not the Centos repositories?
>>=20
>>     Just a thought, and hope it helps!
>>=20
>> Thanks, I just have to keep digging :(=2E
>>=20
>> Pedro=2E
>>=20
>> The linux packaging is okay but I'd recommend learning how the porting=
=20
>> process and not just wrapping up a linux binary in FreeBSD=2E
>>
>=20
> Well =2E=2E=2E of course if I had the source code I would not be dealing RPMs=
=20
> for the linuxulator=2E
>=20
> Software can be free but not include source code=2E  It can still be=20
> desirable for FreeBSD=2E
>=20
>> The main reason for that is you can port your way into a corner that=20
>> relies on very Linux specific stuff that there's just no solution for=20
>> yet nor will there be one unless you port the entire Linux kernel to=20

OK Pedro, just so I know I understand your intentions correctly;
You need a way to unpack all the =2Erpm's, and separate them by
$arch -- 32bit -vs- 64bit, so that you can create the correct pkg-plist(s)
for each of them=2E Is that correct?

I'll await your response before a solution for that=2E

--Chris