Date:      Thu, 11 May 1995 12:02:35 +0100
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with new biosboot?

> From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@ref.tfs.com>
> Date: Wed 10 May, 1995
> Subject: Re: problem with new biosboot?

> The rule is simple:
>
> 	For the boot-bloks to work, no sector needed to read the kernel
> 	must be past cylinder 1023, because we use the bios to read in
> 	the kernel.
>
> This is uncheckable, and undeterministic, so the check is:
> 	the filesystem from which the kernel is read, must have no blocks
> 	past cylider 1023.
>
> Partition 2 is the entire slice, always.

*ding*

My obvious mistake was in assuming I knew the context of the code I was looking
at, without checking.  I was reading "partition" as "slice" because I thought
I was having problems with the slice configuration (the slice is obviously
>1024 cylinders in untranslated geometry, whereas my 'a' partition isn't, no
matter how you look at it!).

OK, now I'm pointed in the right direction, I'll try Bruce's s/spt/spc/
tonight...

		Cheers,

		Mark.