Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:05:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, alk@pobox.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0s1e hard errors

As Robert Watson wrote...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > > Should bad144 be retired?
> >
> > I get the distinct feeling that the time has prettymuch come for this,
> > yes.  It's only real use is for old 'wd' disks, most of whom are dead
> > and gone.
> >
> > Killing it from the boot floppy in particular would win us some more
> > space.
>
> Hey! :)  My Kerberos server is running quite happily on a hard disk that I
> have had for the last 9 or 10 years.  Great drive -- all of my Maxtors
> have lasted really well.  It has one or two bad sectors, but has had those

[snip]

> As to why I kept the machine?  A Kerberos server just does a little DES,
> and why fix something that is clearly not broken?

Right!

And I cannot really understand why in parallel to this thread people are
discussing adding useless junk (IMHO) called 'splash screens' to FreeBSD.

If I wanted graphical junk during install I'll go for M$ stuff. On the other
hand if people wanted to create an graphical install like Solaris Sparc
has...

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --