Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:46:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        "Michael E. Mercer" <mmercer@ipass.net>, Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FIXED -->  Thanks! Re: ep0 eeprom failed to come ready...

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Keith Stevenson wrote:
> I saw a similar problem when I upgraded from 3.4-RELEASE to
> 5.0-CURRENT. My ep card started fine under 3.4, but choked with the
> eeprom messages when booting my new current kernel.  I was able to get
> my card working by booting into the kernel configuration tool (boot
> -c) and disabling all of the other network devices which were compiled
> in.  (This was with a generic kernel.) Once I had done that, the ep
> driver was able to work with my card.

Yep.  Its likely some of the 'legacy' (non-newbus) drivers stomp on the
card.  You should -always- disable devices that you don't have in your
system.

> (Strangely enough, the ep driver doesn't appear anywhere in the kernel
> config screen.)

Correct.  The 'ep' driver in 4.0/current doesn't have any need for the
user to specify settings.  The kernel config screen is really for devices
that are so broken that we can't 'ask' them what their configuration is or
otherwise discover it unassisted.

Ideally all drivers should use non-destructive probes and should attempt
to discover cards and configurations without user intervention.  Some
hardware is too stupid for this and in other cases, the drivers need to be
'fixed'.  I was only able to beat up the 'ep' and 'ex' drivers (and even
then there are still problems.)

The other problem is that we've got no really good way to ask the resource
manager 'has someone reserved this resource for future use?'  This too is
being addressed.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |