Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 11:59:13 +0100
From:      Herve Soulard <Herve.Soulard@inria.fr>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Disklabel

>At home I'm running FreeBSD-2.0. At work I'm working on DEC-Alphas
>with OSF1. I would like to use a hard disk to carry files between
>the two systems.

I've got this to work. I have made two DOS partitions on the disk.
The first one is dummy and the second one is for FreeBSD.
The disklabel of OSF1 is written in the first sector of the disk.
Due to the dummy partition, disklabels of OSF1 and FreeBSD don't use
the same sector: first potential problem is solved. The second problem
is with the DOS partitions table made by fdisk. Hopefully this table
is written at the end of the first sector. Thus the OSF1 disklabel and
the partition table don't overwrite. Last problem is with byte ordering
so that structures read from disk are well interpreted by both the x86
and the Alpha. Both processors are LITTLE ENDIAN, fine.

Maybe there are other problems that I've not seen....

		Herve Soulard.