Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:37:58 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports tree tagging again

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 10:45:37AM +0400, Roman Bogorodskiy wrote:
>   Kris Kennaway wrote:
>=20
> > > If this comes up every few months, then it's really needed, isn't it?
> >=20
> > No, it means that a handful of people think that it would be great if
> > the rest of the people all started doing more work to support their
> > idea.
>=20
> I'm not the only person who wants to have stable ports tree and binary
> packages. Actually, about 90% people whom I asked about that said it
> would be nice.

Great, so they'd surely be willing to help you.

> > kuriyama's proof of concept shows that the infrastructure for
> > supporting such a third party ports project (i.e. importing the
> > freebsd ports tree into another repository, and then merging from
> > there to your other branches) is not difficult to set up; so if you
> > and others think that a stable ports branch is a worthwhile project,
> > then take the lead, go and set it up, and if there's truly a demand
> > for it then you'll see the evidence of that.  You're not going to get
> > anywhere if you expect someone else to do the hard work for you.
>=20
> kuriyama's proof of concept shows as well that the project will die
> very fast without the support from freebsd.

What form do you think this support would have entailed?  If kuriyama
did not have the time to keep the project going on his own, he would
have not had the time in FreeBSD either and the work would have fallen
on someone else.  Note that kuriyama deliberately did not publicize
his project to the community (IIRC it was something his company was
paying him to do), so he made the choice not to solicit for volunteers
to keep it alive as a public project.

Adding this to FreeBSD is not on the table right now.  Go and start
the project, prove your assertion about 90% of people wanting this
feature by getting them to pitch in, and come back in 6 months with
the proof that it's a workable concept, much in demand, and with the
wide community support necessary to sustain once e.g. you get sick of
the project and move on to other things.

> > > And I personally have no enough resources to provide binary packages
> > > for all supported arches (and I'm not sure about i386 even).
> >=20
> > Neither do we, so packages for a stable branch are infeasible anyway.
>=20
> I don't believe we cannot do _anything_ about it.

OK.

Kris
--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+--