Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:58:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Reed Lai <bv4qo@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! Cannot use F1 at BootManager

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Reed Lai wrote:

> I install FreeBSD 2.2.1 into my 486-66 w/2 hard disks without trouble.
> Then I
> reboot  system after the installation is completed.  The BootManager displays
> follow message:
>     F1 ... BSD
>     F5 ... disk2
>     Default: F?
> I enter F1, but BootManager always echoes "F?".  I try keys F2 to F5, they
> are no
> problem.  However, I can use F1 in installation period, but I cannot use it
> at
> BootManager.  Is there something wrong in KeyMap?  I re-install 6 times, even
> select a different KeyMap, but BootManager always echoes F? for F1. How can I
> fix this problem?

At this point the keymap hasn't been installed yet.  The problem usually
lies with improper geometry on the install disk.  To fix this:

1.  Use DOS Fdisk and delete the partition.  Create a small DOS primary
partition on the same disk.

2.  Install FreeBSD, removing the DOS partition you created in the fdisk
editor in Install.

3.  booteasy should work once you get done.