Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:35:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      marcov@stack.nl (Marco van de Voort)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freepascal

~> > > Weell.. the truth is, I was not wholly aware of '!=' :)  But then again..
> > > portability? :(  '!=' seems to be quite pmake-specific :(
> >
> > What type of portability you are thinking of? AFAIK, ".if FOO" stuff don't
> > compatible with gmake anyway, so you will not loose anything by extending
> > unportability a bit ;).
>
> Actually, I think the original poster was referring exactly to gmake -
> not in the ports context, but rather later, in a port that defines USE_GMAKE,
> and then invokes gmake in the source subdirs - that's where determining
> the arch might be useful.

Yes, at least for the development branch. The release one will be binary
only.

> This could be done by checking for some variable that the port itself
> defines (MAKE_ENV-style), but it would fail if the program were to be made
> outside of the ports tree, by just uncompressing the archive, and typing
> ./configure and gmake by hand :(

There is no configure. There are no headers to adjust ;-)

This is specially meant to set platform dependant include directories.

The compiler itself can be made to return freebsd or linux, but a linux emu
bin or a crosscompile will return linux on freebsd in that case.