Date:      Mon, 14 Mar 2016 15:41:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Kulamani Sethi <kulamani.sethi@gmail.com>, freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network goes down when installing ipfw

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 07:39:36 +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
 > On 14/03/2016 7:37 AM, Julian Elischer wrote:
 > > On 11/03/2016 8:46 PM, Kulamani Sethi wrote:
 > > > Dear all,
 > > >
 > > >       I am using ipfw3. When i am installing ipfw driver in windows-7
 > > > machine the network goes down. If uninstall that driver again then
 > > > network
 > > > comes automatically. That means ipfw driver does not support.
 > > >
 > > >              I have also digitally signed by Microsoft kernel mode
 > > > signing
 > > > process for authenticate the publisher.
 > > >

 > > > Process of installing: Local Area Connection-> properties -> Install ->
 > > > service -> Add ->OK (I can also see there message by system  "Driver
 > > > digitally signed")
 > >
 > > this is amusing..  Ipfw on windows?  I never knew of this..
 > >
 > > can you send us all the links to this project?
 > never mind:
 >
 > google to the rescue:
 >
 >  http://wipfw.sourceforge.net/

What's amazing is that we - you and I, anyway - have never heard of it.

And that it goes back to 2005, and apart from fwd, seems to follow ipfw
semantics, up to 2011 anyway.  Kudos to the porters, fitting it into a
Wimdows kernel environment.  A gui even, pretty standard 'man ipfw'
docs, properly attributed authorship ..

"IPFW ported to Windows® by Ruslan Staritsin and Vladislav Goncharov."

As for Kulamani's problem, I wonder if it needs some technique roughly
equivalent to that needed when loading ipfw over a remote connection:

  # kldload ipfw && ipfw add 65000 allow ip from any to any

but I really shouldn't try second-guessing ANYTHING to do with Windows,
which always seems to hate me even more than the reverse :)

 > > > Could anyone please help me for this issue. Thanks in advance.

>From the Contacts page on SF: "If you have any questions about this
project, please email at iptables@mail.ru"

cheers, Ian