Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:11:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, crandall@matchlogic.com, dmiller@search.sparks.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet support?

Wes Peters wrote...
> "Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:
> > Wes Peters wrote...
> > > We have two of the NetGear GA620's here, and they work quite nicely.  I use
> > > them for testing throughput via Gig-E on our switches.  Mine is running in
> > > a lowly PII/233, on a 32-bit x 33 Mhz slot, and can push bits at 320 Mbps.
> > > The GA620 will work in any 32 or 64 bit, 33 or 66 Mhz slot.  A 64x66 slot
> > > would probably speed things up appreciably.
> >
> > I doubt a faster PCI interface would really speed things up.  My guess is
> > that you've got some other bottleneck other than PCI bandwidth.  Is the CPU
> > pegged on either end?
>
> Not on mine, it's running about 45%.  The other end is much faster, a PII/400,
> and is just discarding the packets, so it's not sweating.

The window size tweaks may help you somewhat.

> > I would recommend that you make sure you've got a couple of things tweaked,
> > they may increase your performance somewhat:
> >
> > - set your MTU to 9000, unless of course you're going through a switch that
> >   can't handle it
>
> Not yet, that's part of what I will be developing.  ;^)  Due to architectural
> limitations, we may not be able to support jumbo frames larger than 8k.

That's unfortunate, since you won't be compliant with the pseudo-standard.

With 1500 byte packets, you probably won't be able to get much better
throughput than what you're getting now.  I can get about 340Mbps with
standard sized packets with a couple Pentium II 350's, and the CPU isn't
pegged on either end.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry