Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:54:53 +0000
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startup services

Ashby Gochenour (freebsd@intelos.net) wrote:
> > man 1 sockstat
> >
> > Then run sockstat and will show you who owns them.. I know 587 is
> > sendmail.
>
> Thanks for that info.  Now that I know who owns them, is there any
> easy way to tell what causes them to startup (rc.* ???)

587/tcp is indeed opened by sendmail for 'message submission'. I don't
know of anything that uses it at the moment so I'd close it. I've been
using postfix for some time now but I remember that if you grep
sendmail.cf for 587 the line you need to comment out to disable this is
quite obvious.

I think the other ports are all NFS related; try

nfs_server_enable="NO"
nfs_client_enable="NO"

in your /etc/rc.conf. I expect someone can clarify this for me.

Hope this helps,

--

Mark Drayton