Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:01:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Bernie Doehner <bad@ece.WPI.EDU>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, buaas@wireless.net, bad@ece.WPI.EDU
Subject:   Re: Documentation of 2.2.5-RELEASE and 3.0 memory protection?

[...]
> > if_ed driver (some cards use shared memory, but in the ISA hole of
> > A0000-100000), to the Digiboard driver (which I thought uses shared
> > memory, but BELOW A0000).
>
> I don't understand you here - drivers are *inside* the kernel, and
> behave completely differently to user-mode programs.

> Are you writing a driver, or a user-mode program?  This is a critical
> difference.

Using used too loose a definition. Our stuff is ALL user-mode programs
currently and it appears to work (with one program using monochrome range
for shared-memory, and the other using ISA hole memory)

But we'd like to understand the kernel mechanisms better so that we can
move/some of it into the kernel and turn it into real device drivers.

Bernie