Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 01:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Daniel Berlin <danielb@university.microsoft.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject:   Re: disassembling i386 code

Actually, the best dissasembler around is IDA Pro from DataRescue.
This is for just about any executable format on x86, ELF/PEF on PPC,
and a few other andom processors in the standard version (i860, SH-4,
and JAVA).
It's really pretty damn amazing.
I've used sourcer before (used it for years), but ever since IDA came
about, it's blown everything else out of the water.
I've dissasembled BeOS executables (PEF on PPC, ELF on x86, used to be
PE) , JAVA class files (I'll admit it's not the best tool for doing
JAVA class files, because it looks at it from the point of view of a
java processor),  and a bunch of other stuff with it, never had a
problem.

It makes sourcer look like a 3rd grade science project.

There little blurb says it best:
		   "      IDA Pro is simply the world's most
                       advanced disassembler. It mixes multi pass
                       analysis, stack variables, symbolic
                       constants, unicode, ELF support, color
                       highlighting, C++ name demangling to
                       compiler library recognition in a stunning
                       package ! "

http://www.datarescue.com

grab the demo, but the input file size is limited to 64k.
it's a bit pricey, but  do a dejanews search on ida 3.84 or ida 3.8,
and read what people say about it.
I've yet to see a negative comment yet.

I'll stop now before i start to sound like i get paid to say this
stuff :P,
Dan