Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 1995 13:30:28 -0300
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users), joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com (Harlan Stenn)
Subject:   Re: /etc/rc and "rm -f /var/spool/lock/*"

I suspect the real solution, then, will be to file ijppp.

The problem is that when I start up "ppp -auto", it will almost always
come up with the same PID as the one from the previous boot, so if the
lock file stuck around it will mostlikely have the *same* PID in there,
and will then quietly loop until the lock file goes away!

This problem happens to me a lot because ijppp frequently terminates,
and if I restart ppp the machine will reboot the instant "something"
happens on the link.  Perhaps it's a nameserver call, perhaps it's
simply an IP packet that wants to be handled by the PPP link - I can't
tell; no panic is generated so I don't get a core file.