Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:01:44 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Chris Sinjakli <chris@sinjakli.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A historical curiosity in su(1)

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:57:22PM +0000, Chris Sinjakli wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm doing some digging for a talk I'm working on for PGConf US[1].
>
> The talk is one I've given before[2], and last time I gave it I left an open
> question right near the end. This time, I'd love to be able to answer it!
>
> As a heads-up, this is a behaviour I encountered through Ubuntu, but the code
> involved is present in a very similar form in FreeBSD, and probably originated
> here or in a shared ancestor (the trail goes cold at a 1994 import from BSD
> 4.4).

Did you dive into this repo?

  https://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/pubs/conf/2015-MSR-Unix-History/html/Spi15c.html

    The evolution of the Unix operating system is made available
    as a version-control repository, covering the period from its
    inception in 1972 as a five thousand line kernel, to 2015 as a
    widely-used 26 million line system. The repository contains 659
    thousand commits and 2306 merges.

    It has been created by synthesizing with custom software 24
    snapshots of systems developed at Bell Labs, Berkeley University,
    and the 386BSD team, two legacy repositories, and the modern
    repository of the open source FreeBSD system.

Repo itself:

  https://github.com/dspinellis/unix-history-repo