Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:55:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbussifying drivers

In message <200106110012.f5B0CH202578@mass.dis.org> Mike Smith writes:
: > One big area we need to clean up is PNPBIOS devices.  They should be
: > probed *FIRST* before anything else (which is hard because the isa bus
: > gets attached late on pci systems).
:
: This isn't actually such a problem; the space in which PNPBIOS devices
: tend to have their resources allocated is protected from abuse by other
: drivers (PCI won't allocate space in the 'ISA preferred' space).

Interrupts are the only thing that really matters.  pccard might want
to allocate low memory, but come to think of it, it usually doesn't
have to do that.

: > We'd need to update our drivers
: > in the tree, plus there's the "hints vs pnp" issue where some people
: > want to specify hints to wire a device unit (eg, the sio that's at
: > address 0xXXXX should be sio9).  This is one rats nest that's still
: > around that is going to be hard to solve.
:
: Wiring stuff sensibly seems to just be a few millimetres beyond reach,
: forever. 8(

heh.  I had an idea today while squirrel proofing my shed.  What if we
looked at the hints for a device that's plug and play and if they
match the hints, use that device (assuming it accepts the PnP Id).
That is, give preferencial treatment to the wired devices.  But that
might get ugly.  I'd have to think about it more.

Of course, there is still the "sio on pci" problem that we'd need to
overcome too.  Since PCI is probed before isa, the pci sio devices
wind up as sio0 (or would if I didn't kludge them like I do).

Warner