Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2012 19:27:59 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Carmel <carmel_ny@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Format a USB flash drive using gpart

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 13:15:10 -0400, Carmel wrote:
> This is probably a dumb question, but does gpart even work on a USB
> flash drive? I have not been able to figure out how to do it. I want to
> erase the entire drive and format it for a FreeBSD UFS2 file system.

In that case, screw slices and partitions 'n stuff. :-)

	# newfs /dev/da0

This is all you need (see "man newfs" and "man tunefs" for
options you might need to optimize utilization, and check
best fitting options for /etc/fstab, e. g. noatime if you
are not going to need it).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany