Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:39:27 -0700
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Ray Kohler" <ray.kohler@mail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail no longer happy with hostname lookup

gshapiro> confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES  DontProbeInterfaces

rkohler1> That didn't fix it either. (And I made sure to do it right - the
rkohler1> proper 'O' line made it into sendmail.cf and sendmail was killed and
rkohler1> restarted.) As I said elsewhere, sendmail's gethostbyaddr()'s are
rkohler1> failing, and they have the right address.

Odd, if the error you are getting is something like:

Aug 24 03:12:04 horsey sendmail[73878]: gethostbyaddr(192.168.1.1) failed: 1

Then the only place that occurs in the code is add_hostnames() and the only
function which calls add_hostnames() is load_if_names() which isn't called
if DontProbeInterfaces is set to True:

define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES', `True')

or:

O DontProbeInterfaces=True