Date:      19 Aug 2002 16:35:59 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Use spamass-milter only on local delivery?

At 2002-08-19T20:47:22Z, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> writes:

> You might be better off installing a global procmailrc file that calls
> spamc.

I decided to jump off the cliff and install procmail as my local delivery
agent.  I did so by editing /etc/mail/kanga.mc:

    -MAILER(local)
    +FEATURE(local_procmail)
    +MAILER(local)

and doing a make; make install; make restart.  After verifying that mail was
still being delivered as expected, I created a global procmailrc:

    root@kanga:/etc/mail# cat /usr/local/etc/procmailrc
    :0fw
    | spamassassin -P

I called spamassassin directly after ready about (and experiencing)
intermittent problems with spamd hanging.  My mailserver carries a fairly
low load (usually no more than 1000 mails per day), so I can afford the
extra fork().

I've experimentally confirmed that mail delivered local is now subject to
being re-written by SpamAssassin, but mail being relayed through my system
is untouched.

Does what I've done seem correct?  My highest priority is ensuring that no
email will ever be silently dropped from the system; will that simple
procmail recipe meet this goal?

Many thanks!  Hopefully someone else will also find this to be useful.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/