Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:42:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        drosih@rpi.edu
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: time_t not to change size on x86, votes

In article <p05101003b800cfd71d2c@[128.113.24.47]> you write:

>So much has been said in this thread, and so many suggestions
>offered, that I am not sure anyone could reliably say where
>people's votes are.

Well, I think it's pretty clear where I stand, but your framework is a
good one.

5

3

>   c) For the existing 32-bit platform (i386),
>      FreeBSD 5.0-release should have a 64-bit value.

-Inf

>   d) For all 32-bit platforms (PowerPC, i386),
>      iff FreeBSD 5.0-release continues to be a 32-bit value,
>      then it should be called 'long' instead of 'int'.

2 (I don't feel very strongly, but I am mildly opposed to doing this.
I believe, and have stated before, that it would be better to have
some platforms be different, precisely to flush out unwarranted
assumptions about the type underlying a time_t.)

-GAWollman