Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:45:27 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How large can the lpd spool be?

> Hi there ...
>
> If I print a .ps file to my print spooler that
> is maybe a bit too large, I get
>
> lpr: file.ps: copy file is too large
>
> The file gets queued, and then /dev/nulle'd.
> Can one make the spooler recieve larger
> print files, or does it have to be compiled
> into the kernel?

Add "mx#0" to your /etc/printcap, something like this:

lp|local line printer:\
        :sh:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
        :if=/usr/local/libexec/psif:

See "man printcap" for more details. "mx" defaults to 1000 BUFSIZ (1024
byte) blocks, or just under 1 megabyte (1024 x 1024 would be one
megabyte). Quite small for postscript printers. Quite large for plain
text dot matrix printers.

Setting mx to zero limits the print size to the free space on your spool
volume (if the file has to be copied before printing). Forgot if lpr/lpd
copies first, or can print from the original file as the SYSV lp system
can. I do remember if you are printing from Netscape that lpr is
reading standard input and has to save the file in the spool directory,
/var/spool/output/lpd in the above example.