Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:25:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/nrsa0 file mark handling

I just got through actually re-implementing the 2FM@EOD as quirks. In my
opinion it is only required, and only should be used, for tape drives that
cannot detect physical end of media (this is different from early warning
detection). Quirks are sufficient for this case.

> While I am at it, I have another "request".  The "sa" tape driver
> still needs a "control" device or some other way of accessing the
> driver without conflicting with current I/O activity in order to
> discover device status via the MTIOCGET ioctl().  (An alternative to
> a control device would be special interpretation of the O_NONBLOCK
> open flag.)  It would be nice if the "struct mtget" fields mt_fileno
> and mt_blkno were implemented.  It would be nice if there was another
> field that indicated the nature of any tape operation in progress
> (e.g. REW, FSF, WEOF, simple I/O).

"control open" - Already on my list.

"mt_fileno/mt_blkno" - I'm mulling that one. Yes, I think I will, but
it'll take a lot of work because there are (now) a large number of
conditions that invalidate and make completely unknown those
relative positions (EOD, hard  block locating).

"current state" - Interesting notion.

-matt