Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 22:43:10 +1100
From:      Tony Frank <tfrank@optushome.com.au>
To:        David Raistrick <drais@atlasta.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any known issues regarding VIA IDE chips?

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:25:12AM -0800, David Raistrick wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Tony Frank wrote:
> > I am having trouble with a Aplus motherboard I have.
> > Board is based around VIA 82C691 chipset with VIA 82C586B IDE chip.
> > ata(4) shows the chip as being supported.
> Perhaps try not using the primary controller at all, only using the
> secondary?

While not testing this idea on that exact board I did try that on a
second system with VIA chipset (82C693 with 82C596A IDE) with no
obvious improvements.
On this system even fallings back to hw.ata.ata_dma=0 didn't help &
in fact made things worse.

> I've seen problems that were specific to solid-state flash that happened
> only on the primary, never on the secondary...it's possible you're running
> into a variation on that theme.

I solve the problem on the Aplus board by turining off hw.ata.ata_dma in
/etc/loader.conf.

While a bit slower the resulting system works which is the main
issue at this time.

Thanks,

Tony