Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 22:27:01 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror(8) and graid3(8) changes.

--wjoFZxbW4tu+iR6v

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 03:40:24PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
+> At 02:39 PM 08/03/2006, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> >On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:50:42PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
+> >+> At 05:28 PM 06/03/2006, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> >+> >Hi.
+> >+> >
+> >+> >Here you can find patches with changes to gmirror(8) and graid3(8):
+> >+> >
+> >+> >        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/gmirror.7.patch
+> >+> >        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/graid3.patch
+> >+>
+> >+> Hi,
+> >+> Against stable, this patch fails in places.   This is against RELENG=
_6 as of today
+> >
+> >graid3 from HEAD and RELENG_6 differ. Can you apply the patches to HEAD
+> >version and just copy entire sys/geom/raid3 from HEAD to RELENG_6?
+>=20
+> Yes, done.
+>=20
+> I had saved the test results from the last set of tests and added the ne=
w results.
+> http://www.tancsa.com/raid3.html
+>=20
+> There is both a speed improvement and regression in reading depending on=
 the test size.  I repeated the 2G and 3G test twice and there was very lit=
tle change between tests,=20
+> but it doesnt seem to make sense why 4G would be faster than 2G.  Also, =
this test if you recall, used to lock up the box with preemption in the ker=
nel.  The version in=20
+> HEAD, with the above patch works just fine in RELENG_6 using these simpl=
e tests and does not lockup.

Ok, speed looks acceptable. Good to hear there are no more lockups.
Are you able to mensure synchronization speed between stock RELENG_6 and
patched patched HEAD version?
For patched HEAD version it would be great if you could experiment with
different values of kern.geom.raid3.sync_requests (you need to set it in
loader.conf) (the default is 4, it'll be good to see how it performs
with 1, 8, 16 and maybe 32).

Thank you!

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org