Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 22:15:02 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI controller

At 05:40 PM 4/09/97 -0700, Doug White wrote:
>On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
>> I am thinking about buying an ASUS SC200 SCSI controller card. However,
>> provide more details. If I do not have BIOS support, what other
>> inexpensive but good SCSI cards could I look at? Thank you.
>
>Generally, the AWARD BIOSs do have the necessary support for the
>ASUS/NCR/SymBios SCSI controllers.  Your AMI probably doesn't have it.
>
>You can purchase NCR cards with BIOS, one of which I have.  They can be
>difficult to get a hold of from the end-user perspective, but if you check
>Symbios's website at http://www.symbios.com and with your local computer
>suppliers, you may be able to find some.  I have the 53C815, which cost me
>about $125 total.  Very nice card.

Take a look at the ASUS SC-875 which is one step up from the SC-200.  I
just bought one here in Canada for $165+taxes, so I would imagine you could
get it for ~$125 USD.  Its an Ultra/Ultra Wide SCSI with lots of niffty
features.  Seems to work quite well with FreeBSD 2.1.7 and 2.2.1, however I
havent made heavy use of it just yet....

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *