Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 18:42:28 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        "James A.Taylor" <jataylor@xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp, getty and automatic baud rate detection

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, James A.Taylor wrote:
> I have configured a FreeBSD server to provide
> dial-in access using getty and user ppp.
	[ ... ]
> As long as I use std.19200 as the profile setting
> for the ttyd in /etc/ttys then I can connect from
> a remote (Win98) computer using ppp.  If I use a
> different profile such as std.9600 or std.38400
> then ppp is never started by getty.  It would
> appear that getty doesn`t recognize that ppp is
> needed at other speeds.

It would appear that your modem is autobauding and setting the DTE speed
on it's own. Different modem vendors have different ways of fixing the DTE
speed of the modem. Some won't let you do it, especially WinModems which
lose most of the few brain cells they have without Win32 support.

> I have an Echo Communications 56K fax modem
> attaced to the FreeBSD server answering the
> incoming calls.  Typically I would like to use the
> std.115200 profile and then have the modem accept
> calls from modems of all speeds (14.4, 19.2, 28.8,
> 33.6 & 56.8) automatically adjusting the baud rate
> as needed.

You might be able to kill two birds at one time (one you didn't know was
there 8{). If you use mgetty, it can allow FAXes as well as regular getty
support and decent auto-ppp support. As it disables auto-answer and issues
a 'ATA' command when it sees 'RING', it always reminds the modem of the
DTE rate desired.

If you have a voicemail modem, it can even be a DTMF-menu-enabled
voicemail system. I have a great web script for Apache to be the rest of
the answering machine. My wife loves it and the CallerID support is cool.

Hope this helps - Jy@  (JWyatt@RWSystems.net)