Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:29:16 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pine64+ UFS resizing / mounting root

--nextPart2231933.ECdaSzeegl

With the most recent image, FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-
PINE64-20180110-r327788.img, -- but the same applies to earlier ones, I just
never got around to asking about it, I'm seeing the following behavior:

 - after dd'ing the image to a 32GB SD card,
 - first boot sits at the "growing filesystem" forever (well, i've let it sit
for four hours, doesn't seem to have finished by then).

Eventually I kill power and reboot, and it boots almost normally, except I
then see this:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs [rw]...
GEOM: diskid/DISK-270A2980s2: invalid disklabel.
Root mount waiting for: usbus1 usbus0
uhub1: 1 port with 1 removable, self powered
uhub0: 1 port with 1 removable, self powered
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/rootfs...

and it bails into loader, telling me:

Loader variables:
  vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs
  vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

>From the serial console, I can enter ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s2, and the system then
boots normally. I've changed /etc/fstab to use /dev/mmcsd0s2 for /, but that's
far too late. So my three(-ish) questions are:

 - why does it hang during resize? can I switch the resize off by fiddling with
the image before writing it to SD card?
 - where can I change the vfs.root.mountfrom settings? presumably that is
uEnv.txt, but I can't find the file to modify it.
 - (or otherwise) what can I do to convince GEOM that the disklabel is
correct? I've tried, after resizing, to tunefs -L rootfs the device, but it's
not finding that. After glabel on the SD card device (/dev/da0 on an 11.1 amd64
box), I get the additional error message on boot:

GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (label/000000001582, MBR)
GEOM: diskid/DISK-270A2980s2: invalid disklabel.

FWIW, when the SD card is in the amd64 machine, glabel status reports it as

                  diskid/DISK-000000001582     N/A  da0

so I'm confused about the mismatched diskids, as well.

That said, in the meantime I'm chewing through kde@ ports, fixing what needs
fixing on aarch64, so once it boots, it works fine. (I'm not sure whether one
pine64+ native is faster than an i7 with QEMU; having more memory in the
latter sure helps though).

If any of these are really basic questions, please point me to something I
should have read first.

[ade]