Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2012 16:34:04 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add rc.conf variables to control host key length

On 24. Jun 2012, at 16:07 , Robert Simmons wrote:

> Here is a set of patches that add functionality to rc.conf allowing
> users an easy way to control the length of the host keys used with ssh
> (specifically RSA and ECDSA used with protocol version 2).

Created for, not used with -- right?

The used with is controlled in sshd_config and if the key is not there
but it's enabled in sshd_config you'll get a warning on boot which is
very annoying.

> I would like to also discuss the merits of changing FreeBSD's default
> behavior to using 4096 bit RSA keys and 521 bit ECDSA keys.
>
> I have refrained from changing FreeBSD's default behavior in these
> patches and stuck to just adding configurability.

Do we differ from what the OpenSSH defaults are?

/bz

   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!