Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 11:36:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, deischen@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount_md (was: mdconfig config file (was: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC))

:Some thoughts:
:
:  - If you want softupdates, you need to specify the -S flag.  Should
:    softupdates be the default?

    That's a hard one.  Considering that people who have mfs in their fstab
    probably expect as little disk I/O as possible, softupdate sshould
    probably be enabled by default.

:  - To suppress the output of disklabel/newfs/etc., it closes fds 0-2.  Is
:    this evil?  Should I devise another method of doing this (something
:    like opening /dev/null and dup2'ing that fd to 0-2)?

    Yes, that is evil.  opening and dup2()ing /dev/null to 0, 1, and 2
    is the prefered method.

:  - Should there be an option to make use of md's autounit feature?  I
:    don't think it will be very hard to implement, but I don't know how
:    useful it would be.

    Yes, I think this should be the default.

    My -current box is down at the moment so I can't test it immediately, but
    I looked at your code and it looks great!  I think this will make using
    MD disks in -current as easy s using MFS disks was.

						-Matt

:I think that's it.  Comments?  Suggestions?
:
:Thanks in advance
:
:					Dima Dorfman