Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 00:02:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To:        ada@bsd.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnat port

> Is there any work going with the gnat port?  gnat is now up to 3.10p

Yes. In the midst of revamping the gnat port. In order to
compile version 3.x you should use version 3.(x-1). Since I only
have access to the sources of 2.03, 3.01, 3.04, 3.07 and 3.09 it's
getting a little tedious.  (I started last weekend, just befor
3.10p was released) Up to now I got 2.03 and 3.01 compiling themselves
on FreeBSD-2.2.2. And 3.01 didn't compile with 2.03.

I plan to provide a bootstrap distribution file (gnatbs.tar.gz)
consisting of the binaries of gnat1 and gnatbind. (The only gnat-tools
needed for compiling the whole gnat package) -- I completed another
port (gxx) which compiles and installs a local gcc driver, configured
to support gnat and g77. This port is not committed yet, since
there is no port using it.

All three new ports ``build-depend'' on /usr/src/contrib/gcc and
/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc and make heavey use of the bsd.xxxx.mk
files.

To my knowledge this is unique in the ports collection. (bsd.port.mk
does not use any other *.mk files and a common port does not depend
on access to the FreeBSD source distribution.)

So I don't know whether my approach will be accepted by the
portsmeister. Do you hear, Satoshi?

Wolfgang