Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:22:15 -0800
From:      "Peter/Los Angeles, CA" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
To:        "Sam Drinkard" <sam@wa4phy.net>, "Allen Landsidel" <all@biosys.net>
Cc:        <sthaug@nethelp.no>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it kind of strange that
auto-sensing/auto-negotiating must be enabled on both sides for the feature
to work a bit strange?

At home, I have a Netgear FS116, a 16-Port unmanaged switch.  It is
auto-sensing/full-duplex 10/100Mbits/sec switch.  Therefore, we cannot
control how it will behave.

On the other hand, I have network cards on my computer which I can set to
full/half/auto/10/100, whatever combination I like, and yet, the switch will
continue to work.

What I'm getting at is that just because one end is not set to
auto-negotiate/auto-sense that there will be no communication at all.  Say,
that one end is set manually, and the other end is automatic.  The automatic
end will set itself to the parameters of the one that is manually set.  This
is how my network works.  Thus, I don't believe that both ends, need to be
set the same way in order to work in this scenario.

The automatic will automatically negotiate/auto-sense to whatever can't be
changed, as a result, they work.  Or is this even what you folks are arguing
about?