Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:35:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        john_wilson100@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VINUM PANIC ON -STABLE

On Sunday, 16 September 2001 at 20:04:46 -0700, john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:04:27 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>>> Subdisk home.p0.s0:
>>> 		Size:      40822392320 bytes (38931 MB)
>>> 		State: up
>>> 		Plex home.p0 at offset 0 (0  B)
>>> 		Drive home1 (/dev/ad4s1h) at offset 135680 (132 kB)
>>>
>>> Subdisk home.p0.s1:
>>> 		Size:      39566177280 bytes (37733 MB)
>>> 		State: up
>>> 		Plex home.p0 at offset 285696 (279 kB)
>>> 		Drive home2 (/dev/ad6s1f) at offset 135680 (132 kB)
>>
>>  These ones, though, are different.  That's a bug in Vinum.  You
>>  didn't say, but I assume that it was the newfs of home that caused
>>  the crash.
>
> It was newfs indeed.   I had initially miscounted the size of the
> second partition and instead of repartitioning, decided to put 0 in
> the config file hoping that Vinum would choose the lowest common
> denominator.

It should do.  As I say, it's a bug.

>>  You should really repartition your physical drives (spindles) to
>>  have only one Vinum drive each.  Then make sure that both subdisks
>>  are of the same size, and you shouldn't have any more problems.
>>  Yes, this doesn't fix the bug, but I'll work on that.
>
> Great, I'll do that.  Do you have enough information to fix the bug?

I think so.  If not, I hope I have enough information to reproduce it.
If anybody else listening wants to have a go, it's in the function
update_plex_config in vinumconfig.c.  I've taken a look, and there's
no check there that the sizes are the same, though it does check that
the subdisk sizes are a multiple of the stripe size.

> I presume the coredumps are of little use to you, because you
> already know what caused the crash, but please let me know if you
> want me to keep them.

No, I should be able to reproduce it here.  Thanks for the offer.

Greg