Date:      Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:17:31 +0200
From:      Emanuel Strobl <emanuel.strobl@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Userland "dig/host" for lookups against /etc/hosts?

--nextPart1274573.tpl6FNyWsL

Dear all,

my testbed lacks of Ethernet Ports so one machine has no connection to my D=
NS,=20
no problem, there is something called /etc/hosts I thought.
It works if I ping 'hostname', but how can I find out the IP of 'hostname'=
=20
from the command line? dig and host want to contact the DNS server, also=20
nslookup does, so I think I need a utility which uses the gethostbyname(3)=
=20
function. Is there one? Unfortunately I can't write one myself, at least no=
t=20
in a reasonable amount of time....

Thanks,

=2DHarry