Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 1999 13:25:34 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@intech.net>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@RWSystems.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limit ftp users to their homedir

James Wyatt wrote:
> I just flat trust the FreeBSD ftpd more than the rest and it does
> all I need from it - including multi-anon users and internal ls.
> considering porting FreeBSDs ftpd to the other two. I know wuftpd is
> a great tool and is 'really fixed' now. I know the hole was tiny, but

As not everyone might be aware, a new group of people have picked
up developement and support for 'wuftpd'. We've got the core of the
old 'Academ', 'VR' and 'BERO' people, plus others who have made a lot
of contributions over the past couple years.

The new line is modelled the same as FreeBSD, with '-stable' and
'-dev' (semi-experimental) branches. WU-2.5.0 will be rolling out
sometime in May, mainly to finalize the merge of the various lineages.

It might be worth letting the two 'camps' (FreeBSD and the new Wu-FTPd)
work together, rather than both continuing developement, especially
since it seems we're both heading in the same directions. Not that
diversity isn't good, but why duplicate all the effort?

Anyone know who the point-of-contact for the FreeBSD native 'ftpd' is?

-coranth