Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:48:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, FreeBSD Ports Team <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ports/13552: The gnuplot doesn't build with GIF support enabled

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> As the person who upgraded the gd port to avoid copyright problems
> I strongly disagree with libgdold. If we just have to have it, I think
> it should be RESTRICTED/NO_PACKAGE/whatever.

I agree, I don't like the idea that to make the gnuplot author happy we're
going to continue to encourage people to use GIFs by providing
discontinued and unmaintained software.  Instead of helping Unisys by
continuing to promote the inferior GIF format we should be progressing and
encourage people to get off their lazy asses and upgrade to PNG
compatiable software.

-- Brooks

P.S.  I am sorry about the duplicate PR, I should have checked first.