Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 1996 11:01:26 -0600
From:      "Mark O'Lear" <Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@dreaming.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ext2fs question

Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> hello!
>
> I am running a 2.2-CURRENT system (CURRENT = this morning) with a kernel
> including
>
> options "EXT2FS"
>
> compiled in.
>
> I recently received a client's drive from a Linux system (the client saw
> fit to migrate to FreeBSD... with a little prodding and coaxing) and i
> trand installed it as wd1. As fas as i can tell, there is wd1s1, a linux
> swap partition, and wd1s2, a ext2fs (i installed these myself, so i am
> sure of the ext2). I tried to mount the file system with  'mount -t
> ext2fs /dev/wd1s2 /mnt', and received the following message:
>
> ext2fs filesystem unavailable
>
> Did i do something wrong? Is maybe the filesystem corrupt? (No big loss, i
> backed everything up on a spare partition in one of my FreeBSD boxes)
>
> wd1s2a,b,c all don't work either. i even tried wd1s1 for good measure,
> even though i am 98% positive it's s2 i need to deal with.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Mit
>
>                         Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe
>                          The DreamLabs Network
>                         http://www.dreaming.org
>                             (905)725-9139

That is all I did, and it worked for me.  That
seems strange that the swap and ext2fs are on seperate
slices.  Have you done an 'fdisk wd1' (read-only) to see
what slice Linux is on, and then 'disklabel wd1s2' (if
that is the slice - also read-only) to see what partition
the ext2fs is on?  It's been a while since I have done it,
and I don't have anything set up now, but I believe that
you can see the label on a Linux slice.  fdisk will
definately tell you which slice it is on though (although
it will call it a partition instead of a slice).
--
Mark O'Lear             \    e-mail: Mark.Olear@Colorado.EDU
University of Colorado   \   phone:  (303) 492-3798