Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 10:58:58 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: fsck not cleaning on first try

> So running
>
> 	ls -l /dev | grep '^b'
>
> gives no output ?

Appologies - I must have cocked up. I can't tell what devices I
had there, but there must have been some block devices left. I'd
guess I accidently ran "./MAKEDEV all" twice instead of "./MAKEDEV
*", (either that or I had some files with really weird names in
/dev).

I checked out a copy of MAKEDEV from September and experimented a
bit. I made all the devices I use usually and tried "MAKEDEV *".
This resulted in most, but not all of the block devices being
replaced.

Then doing a "MAKEDEV all" with the new MAKEDEV seemed to leave me
with only od and ft block devices - which sounds about right.

Should fsck be changed to set the hotroot flag if the block device
is given? Failing to boot only in the case where the root filesystem
is dirty is a failure people are likely to miss when testing after
an upgrade. (Even if they deserve everything they get for not
updating their /dev correctly ;-)

	David.