Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2012 17:05:10 +0300
From:      Alexandr Kovalenko <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org, Cluster Administrators <clusteradm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng mirrors

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Bjoern A. Zeeb
<bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
> So let me unofficially leak a few more things here:
>
> 4) we (FreeBSD) will be running the own official mirrors much the same
>    way as indicated on the SVN mirror thread.  This will be what we
>    will be supporting.
>

> 5) you will be able to run your own mirror, for your local
> community/enterprise
>    if you'll feel you'll need to do that.  We will ask you not to
>    do that under *.freebsd.org but it could be another local domain.
>    However we (and you (plural)) will have to see and find out how
>    things will go.  Please understand that with each mirror great
>    advocacy statistics are reduced. Also udnerstand that we are not
>    just doing it for statistics reasons.
>    We will provide rsync access for people who wish mirror.

So just "thank you and f.o." without any discussion at least with
mirror maintainers. We here (and I personally) provide
ftp/cvsup.ua.freebsd.org mirror for >10 years, put lots of efforts and
money (with the help of community), and now you just discussed
something behind the closed doors and say "f.o., we don't need you
anymore, but we let you run mirror". What a releif that you don't
prohibit us from running local (unofficial) mirrors. Thanks! >:E

Some of mirrors have done upgrades recently (hardware) and now you
also say - go away, we'll do everything on our own.

For me it looks very unpolite and and unfair.

First freebsd-udpdate, then portsnap without publicly available
server-side parts, now everything else? Oracle-way? :)

--
Alexandr Kovalenko
ftp/cvsup.ua.freebsd.org maintainer.