Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
Cc:        media@mail1.nai.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reboot after pkg_add??

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, John wrote:
> > I have a 133 Pentium (Compaq Deskpro 4000) with 3.4-RELEASE.  I find that
> > when I add packages, that I need to reboot before they become available.  I
> > get "Command not found" before I reboot, then they work after I reboot.
> > How do I activate a package without rebooting??  I've checked both books,
> > and could not find any mention of this problem.
>
> Try just logging out of your shell and logging back in again. I'm not sure
> of the technicalities in the 'why it happens', but that usually makes the
> new commands available.  Your other choice is to just issue the commands
> with the absolute path name.

Sounds like you are using a csh type shell.  Run the command rehash
and the new programs will be available.  csh builds a list of all
programs when you login so that it does not need to scan all dirs
in your PATH to find the program.  New programs are not in that list
and therefore not found.  rehash rebuilds the list.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com